"And then.... there are other ways to go about handling your 'affairs'... easy and uncomplicated ways, depending on YOUR individual circumstance and situation"
.
NOTE - - - Copy and paste each article into a word processor, print, and place in a 3-ring binder for your family - - -

Monday, February 9, 2009

#13...Part 3...Urgent To Do

Upon My Death name ____________________

Date prepared ___________________


Part 3…URGENT TO DO


THE FOLLOWING THINGS ARE URGENT TO DO RIGHT AFTER THE FUNERAL.…THEY INVOLVE CALLING COMPANIES TO STOP AUTOMATIC WITHDRAWAL PAYMENTS FROM MY CHECKINGACCOUNT….OR…STOPPING ELECTRONIC DEPOSITS TO MY CHECKING. It also involves stopping services such as phone companies, etc.


NOTE: The following are some examples of what you need to include, if the situation fits you. Suggested ideas are also shown.


My Social Security # is________________________

* I am not sure, but I think you might be able to collect a “lump sum death benefit” on me from Social Security. It is about $255. Call the local Social Security Administration office for information. You will need a copy of my death certificate and maybe other ID.


* Call to stop the Pension payments I get. They automatically deposit it into my checking account around the 2nd of each month. Depending on the part of the month I die, you might have to give that month’s payment back to them (so don’t spend any of it until you are sure). Contact the _________________ company, phone ___________________,
Office address is________________. Pension Plan # (or group annuity contract #)___________________.



* Call to stop the Social Security payments I get. They automatically deposit into my checking account around the 3rd of each month. Also, depending on the part of the month I die, you might have to give that month’s payment back to them (so don’t spend any of it until you are sure). The claim # is _________________________. Call the local Social Security Office. AGAIN, THE MORTUARY MIGHT NOTIFY THE SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION AS A MATTER OF PROCEDURE. CHECK WITH the Mortuary.



* When I turned 65, I qualified for Medicare. The government takes a certain amount out of my Social Security check (towards the medical part) before it is deposited into my checking each month. (You don’t have to do anything about this, as it will all cancel when Social Security is informed of my death). Medicare pays 80% of approved medical bills.


* I also have a Medicare supplement policy with _______________________ company, that pays the 20% that Medicare does not pay, towards my medical and Dr. bills. The company automatically takes the premium out of my checking account about the 10th of each month. Call them to stop the automatic withdrawal. My agents name is________________. Phone __________________. My policy # is: ­­­­­_____________________.


* I also have a “Long-Term Care” policy that will pay for me to be in an assisted living place, or a nursing home. It is through ____________________ company. My Agents name is _________________, phone ________________. Policy # _____________________. The company automatically takes the premium out of my checking account about the 17th of each month. If I am NOT living in one of these facilities at the time of my death….then call my agent and have him stop the automatic withdrawal of premium from my account. If I AM in one of these places when I die, then my policy will have kicked in and the company is paying for my stay there and my premiums will have automatically stopped at that point. Then you only need to call my agent to let him know of my death so that the Company can stop payment to the facility.


* Cancel my vehicle insurance with __________________ company. My agent is _________________, phone ____________. They automatically take the premium out EACH month around the 6th, from my checking account. Depending on when I die and when they take premium out, there might be a refund to you (if you call them soon enough). Everyone who inherits my vehicles will then have to insure them with their own companies.


* The following, is the name and make of my vehicles and the policy # for each:

vehicle______________________ policy #___________________________

vehicle ______________________ policy # __________________________


* Call and cancel my phone services: company: _____________, phone ____________, account #_______________ Tell them to send the final bill to your address, and then pay it out of my checking account.


* Call and cancel my Internet Service Provider, which is _____________ company, phone ______________, customer # _____________________.



* I have a “Medicare Part D” Prescription Drug Plan through the_________________company, member ID # ____________________. They take an automatic withdrawal from my checking account about the 10th of each month for the premium amount. You will need to call them right away and have the withdrawal premium stopped. The customer service phone # is ____________________. My prescription Drug card is located in ______________.